This Wednesday is International Women’s Day, a day to celebrate being a 21st Century woman and to call for change in the working world, Perfect day to post about a young female street artist you should know: JDL Street Art.
JDL street art aka Judith De Leeuw is a young female urban artist based in Amsterdam, specialized in realistic and freehand aerosol portraits.
Let me introduce you to my friend Judith, i asked her few questions about her and her artwork:
Who are you Judith ?
I am a 21 years old street artist, born and raised in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Also i am in my first year of Fine arts at Willem de Kooning academy Rotterdam. Though i am quitting by the end of the year, because i am too busy with my art and it seems i can live pretty nicely from my art already.
How does it all start ?
I started doing spraypaint when i was 15 years old, on the streets, where i met graffiti related people that introduced me to a
spraycan for the first time.
And now ?
Now i own a studio where i work when i don’t paint murals, on the east side of amsterdam.
Why black and white painting ?
I like the use of black and white, not only because i think art is a reflection of yourself (i only wear black and grey).
But also because i feel like black and white expresses more feeling for me then color.
What is Your Art really Saying ?
I am best known for my piece of Amy Winehouse, in which i tried to register her in the most true way i could.
I hate how people portray her smiling, how they were clapping for her music, while she slowly fell apart.
I tried to portray her as much as she was. Also i found this inspiring, because depression appears to lead to great things. That’s what my art is about for me, not only trying to make something visually appealing, but also telling a story with it is important.
Sometimes i clay a portrait with my own hands to tell a story. Sometimes i also do months of research and take a lot of bits and
pieces to form it as one story, like the industrialized adam and eve.
Tell us a little about your artworks
A couple of things i did:
-15 m mural in Athens
– 2 murals in berlin (Jimi hendrix, Lemmy kilmister)
– Cheyenne professional tattoo equipment flew me over to Zurich in 2016, for presenting my art.
– Mural in spain
– Banksy: I’ve painted live for 2 days in the exhibition, in Amsterdam, where i critizied capitalism.
– Several shows & festivals. For instance step in the arena 2016 & 2017.
– Painted several walls in the heart of Amsterdam, not only the amy winehouse on weteringscirquit, but also westerpark and other places.
– I’ve been having some nice attention from the big dutch media (papers and radio), lately. For instance Parool & BNR radio.
– 15M mural in Amsterdam east of adam & eve.
And in the future ?
The things that i am going to do in the future are secret, until they have been done, (you never know what is going to happen), sorry!
I can tell that i have big plans and amazing projects for the future!
All photos by courtesy of JDL